Peridot Rose

My name is Sara. I'm a wife, mother, and photographer and feel fortunate in all areas of my life. See our professional site and blog here: Dotson Studios

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Friday, December 08, 2006

Arguing at work

Today at 4:45 I got a call from someone about having to redo something we had done and thought was all over a month ago. I was disappointed, and a little frustrated, but I thought - that's part of the job. Well, when I got the email sent out to everyone about this change I realized that the reason for it didn't make sense. Someone wanted to change the layout of something to make it smaller and the way they wanted to do it would actually make it bigger. I responded to the email with that information. I didn't want to do it over and have the person get it and think "this is even bigger than it was before". Anyway, I started an email war that didn't end until 5:45 with a phone call. The other person didn't understand how this change would make it bigger and I didn't understand how he couldn't understand that. At 5:30 I was talking to someone else about the issue and she told me something that made me realize he and I were talking about 2 different things. He was looking at something that was old and done by someone else and was way to big. He had not seen the one I had built yet - even though he thought that was what he was looking at. Anyway, right away I called him and told him that what he was looking at was old, and the current ones are a lot smaller. He agreed to wait until he saw what I built to decide if he wanted to change it at all.
In the end, we had a nice conversation and everything is fine. However, my adrenaline ran high for a good hour along with my pulse. I called Grant on the way home and was like "I'm crazy... this person is the VP of the department I do work for" and little o' me doesn't hesitate a second to set him straight if I think he's wrong. I really wonder sometimes what people think of me at work. At least I know my boss has my back, and her boss does too.
I'm sure everything will be fine, this isn't the first time I've had a battle with someone up high. Nonetheless, I feel bad, a little embarrassed, and now nervous about Monday when all the people copied in on those emails reads them.
Oh well, that's life I guess, at least for me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

ugh... so sorry to hear a miscommunication caused so much chaos and stress. i'm glad you have the weekend to relax!!!!!!

December 8, 2006 at 11:02 PM  
Blogger Tech Mom said...

this was quite an interesting experience--goes to show how miscommunication happens so easily--especially when we are not talking face to face!! Anyway when they need someone to argue their case--they may call you!!!

December 9, 2006 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger crt said...

the vp's i've worked with like employees who will stand up to them and give them ideas and solutions. it shows you have a head on your shoulders, can articulate a problem and form a conclusion as to how to solve a problem. a couple vp's called me the most tenacious person they've ever worked with, but then they turned around and gave me big fat raises. keep up the good work!

December 10, 2006 at 8:27 AM  
Blogger Caslon said...

That's what Grant keeps telling me too - that people high up like people who stand up for themselves. I guess I'll find out tomorrow how bad the damage is.

December 10, 2006 at 8:56 PM  
Blogger crt said...

how were things?

December 12, 2006 at 8:46 AM  
Blogger Caslon said...

Things were fine. He sent out an email that it was a miscomunication and that he was sorry for the "fire drill". We are all already on to being frustrated about other things... :) I probably worried too much about this whole thing.

December 12, 2006 at 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just a few more days til the kiddos distract us from everyday stresses!

December 15, 2006 at 9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home