Peridot Rose

My name is Sara. I'm a wife, mother, and photographer and feel fortunate in all areas of my life. See our professional site and blog here: Dotson Studios

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Saturday, March 31, 2007

One Big Yard

Today we mowed the lawn. Sounds like no big deal huh... Well we also had to rake the whole lawn because the leaves from last fall were so thick it was causing problems. In addition to raking and mowing we bagged all of our grass this time and dumped it in the forest. The grass was so tall in parts we thought it better to remove it. So in parts I stopped every few minutes to go empty the bag. Camera man weed-eated and dug up a stump. That's 1 of 4 stumps we have, 1 down 3 to go. We spent almost the whole day in the yard. I hadn't realized how bad a yard can get in the winter. We have grass coming up in all of the spots we seeded however it's a little spotty. We will have to go in later and add more in spots.
It looks great now and my flower beds look great too because you can see them rather than a field of grass! Not next weekend but the following I plan on planting some flowers in the pots on our back deck. I left the pots out all winter and my "perennials" drowned in water most of the winter and I think I killed them. We also had a beautiful Madagascar Tree on our back deck that I thought I left out too long and killed it. I moved it to the garage knowing I had killed this tropical tree after just one light freezing, but thought I would deal with it next spring. Well the other day I saw all this new life coming out of the trunks. I was amazed! I think Spring is such an incredible season. All of these things "die" but come back with so much gusto... I already have a bud on one of my rose bushes! I know this is something we learn at a pretty young age, but I am like a child all excited, when I see a leaf come up from a flower I planted last year and it went into hibernation and looked pretty much dead.
Anyway, that's enough rambling for me.
Tomorrow... more boxes. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

i'm on a quest to find some perennials that suit our yard... i'm thinking the side of the house with the chimney is a little bare. peonies and roses have crossed my mind...

i hope you don't wake up sore tomorrow. it sounds like you beat us with your activity level today.

March 31, 2007 at 9:30 PM  
Blogger Caslon said...

We are a bit sore - but as for activity levels - I think planting is harder work than mowing. It took me days to recover from putting in our plants - especially shrubs.

You also may want to consider some different Daylilies. I got some red ones and peach ones with lavender in the middle - they are beautiful and very hardy.

April 1, 2007 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger crt said...

sounds like you're having fun out there. nature is absolutely fascinating.

April 1, 2007 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

We have dayliliies along the sidewalk (yellow). They have crossed my mind, especially the more fragrant ones.
Hubby doesn't want me to spend too much money on plants. The butterfly bush idea is making him roll his eyes.

April 1, 2007 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger crt said...

tell him to stop rolling his eyes! hannah can learn a lot about nature and God b/c a butterfly bush (or any other plant for that matter.)

April 1, 2007 at 6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home