Peridot Rose

My name is Sara. I'm a wife, mother, and photographer and feel fortunate in all areas of my life. See our professional site and blog here: Dotson Studios

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Verdict

So, we just returned from being out of town this weekend. We went to visit Camera Man's family and I have been worried for a week about what to do with my flowers. I had roses that were budding, lilacs blooming, and many others springing up with gusto that I was not wanting to part with any of them. They are so therapeutic for me. Every day after work I walk through them and pull any weeds that come up, trim anything that needs trimming and spray if need be. I was just getting into this routine again when the threat of a cold snap came. After much flip flopping I decided to cover them for the entire weekend.
Good choice. The only things I didn't cover were the evergreen shrubs, the butterfly bush, and these Rose Champions which are trying to take over the world and didn't die during winter. After taking a peek when we got home and then recovering for our third freezing night in a row - everything survived that stayed covered. One sheet blew off of a rose bush and lilac bush and it looks like some leaves, and buds are not very happy. I recovered them for tonight. I lost maybe 5% of the leaves on my Leadwort flowers - they must be particularly sensitive to the cold, but a few leaves is nothing compared to the whole plant. Everything else that was covered seems just fine.
My butterfly bush looks like my hair when I step out of the shower. Not a leaf alive on it. It will come back with gusto though. The Rose Champions look like they had been watered and fertilized all weekend - I have a feeling these will need some major cutting back this year. I planted them last year after they bloomed - so I have yet to see them in bloom and have heard they are beautiful. Maybe after they bloom I'll cut them back.

Leadwort


Rose Champion

4 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

So glad most of your plants made it through just fine. We lost our cherry tomatoes, but I'm waiting to see if anything that appears dead resurrects itself as the weather warms.

April 9, 2007 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Tech Mom said...

Dad was excited that you fared out that well. Considering it all we all made out pretty good...

April 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Caslon said...

I had to cut the tops off a few more things as I walked around tonight, but nothing too bad. Plus I know in 2 weeks you will never know we had a freeze. I'm glad you both didn't loose too much as well. Too bad about the tomatoes.
Lauren,
If you would like some of those Rose Champions I would gladly give you some cut offs. They are trying to take over my flower bed already - I can't imagine how bad they are going to be by the fall!
They grow up to about 2 feet tall. The leaves are a lot like Lambs Ear - with a tall dark pink flower.

April 9, 2007 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I have some ornamental grass that they could get into a fight with under our holly bush... or perhaps I should plant some of the RC's on the cliff. :-)

April 9, 2007 at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home