Peridot Rose

My name is Sara. I'm a wife, mother, and photographer and feel fortunate in all areas of my life. See our professional site and blog here: Dotson Studios

My Photo
Name:
Location: Georgia, United States

Saturday, March 14, 2009

20 weeks and embracing Pink!

So I'm 20 weeks and 2 days today and yesterday we found out that we are having a girl!

I think I was geared up for a boy so it's hard to say how my reaction was. I'm happy, but apprehensive. For so long I've been very anti-pink/frilly/girly and I know we are about to embrace so much pink that it's going to come out of my ears.

I can control what we buy, but I can't control what others do and as she gets older I'm sure she'll want pink everywhere. I think by the time she is asking for it/wanting it though I should be over this - plus like all parents we will want to just make her happy.

We went to target after the ultrasound to pick out an outfit for her. There was this little section of Dwellstudio clothes that were supper cute and modern. I liked them but there was a problem - even modern there was still a lot of pink. G picked up a top and was like - this is cute and I agreed even though it was pink. :)

So after we picked out a few cute pink things and I came to the realization that we are having a girl which means pink.

Outside of the color I'm very excited about having a daughter. Even though I was leaning towards boy, I've always been able to visualize what my daughter might look like and be like which I've not been able to do with boys. I'm sure she'll be different than I imagine but I like to dream about playing with her, reading with her, teaching her to shop online, and paint. G will have to teach her how to draw - I'm not really that good at it despite the art degree, and I'm sure she'll learn how to use a mac at age 2 and all about typography. Before we know it we'll have our own little photographer as well I'm sure.

So writing this has shed some light on how I feel. I'm excited that I'm going to have a daughter, but not so much about having a "girl" which when they are baby's = pink.

We picked up some paint swatches for the nursery today. I think we are going to do a cocoa color on 3 walls and something else on the wall where the crib will be. Probably a shade of red and I'd like to do something with circles since the bedding has circles on it. We have the bedding already which is kind of funny. It went on clearance at Target and not wanting to not be able to get it if we did have a girl, I went ahead and bought it knowing we could have returned it if it was a boy.

Everything else on the ultrasound looked great. Her brain, spine, organs, heart, blood flow, face all looked good. She was supper active during the ultrasound probably due to the chocolate I ate before hand. :) We saw her sucking her thumb and even holding her foot up to her face. I'm sure she was trying to put a toe in her mouth since it was right after she did this that she put her thumb in. It was supper cute and we are figuring out a way to post the ultrasound online for you all too see. Her heart rate was 162.

I'm feeling okay in general right now. I've gotten over the fact that it's hard to get up etc. I figure it's part of it so just deal with it. Well take some more belly pictures here in a week or so - I've definitely grown. I did have a couple of dizzy spells this week which the doctor thinks was a drop in blood sugar since both times it happened it was an hour after I ate and after I just had cereal which has a reputation of making your blood sugar spike and drop. I'm going to get a different type a cereal and try to make sure I get more protein in the morning as well.

Here are some links to some of the stuff for out little girl.



6 Comments:

Blogger Tech Mom said...

I remember a little girl who once loved pink!! So get ready!!

March 14, 2009 at 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The good news is that just about the time you think you will barf if you see any more pink...they start to make girl clothes in colors other than pink. Madeline wears a lot of browns, purples, teals, yellow, green, etc these days. She still wears pink, but there are a lot more options when they get a little older. Oh, and just because you are having a girl doesn't mean she will necessarily be all girly, and frilly and into pink stuff. Madeline could care less about princesses and fancy clothes. She would much rather hold a frog, or jump off the couch as opposed to pretending to be a fairy :)

March 14, 2009 at 11:23 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You have a terrific yard for her to learn about nature, too, I'm sure she'll be well balanced. :)

Yeah, Em and Mad have always loved pink. ;)

Congrats! Now I have to find the perfect yarn for my niece's blanket!

March 15, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Caslon said...

I remember that Em didn't really care for pink until recently. I think Mad had an influence on her...

Red and brown would make for a nice blanket... and match her room. :)

March 15, 2009 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger crt said...

seriously, have you not met your nieces. (ha!) mad's all purple and em still loves her red. there's hope s- to avoid the scourge of pink. mad doesn't mind a princess on occasion, but overall she would take matchbox cars, marbles and star wars over cinderella any day.

glad everyone is happy and healthy! can't wait to meet her.

March 16, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

March 27, 2009 at 1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home